Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not about accordions

I wanted to write about accordions - that instrument so evocative in French songs (and in many cultures) - and looked for my photo of the bright yellow accordion shop and studio below Montparnasse. But I couldn't find it. Instead a thread in the photos I discovered suggested vestiges of the past, lives lived and the architecture that remains.


A photo taken after a bombing during the London Blitz


The Grand Palais built for a World Exposition and used today for exhibitions

In the limestone tunnels of the old quarries under the Paris Observatoire - notice the graffitti 1671

remnants of stables that became workshops and garages

a Belle Epoque hotel by the artist's academy

the train track left of 'le petit ceinture' the train beltway that encircled Paris

outside a sculptors atelier
and this because it's the real reason I couldn't write about accordions

Cara - Tuesday

3 comments:

  1. If that's what you "really do" I'm truly in awe, because unlike those of us mortals who play solitaire with one deck (some more likely with half a deck) you play yours with two. And congratulations, Cara, on your new book, "Murder at the Lanterne Rouge."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once more, your photos bring Paris to life. I'm looking forward to reading your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find it. Instead a thread in the photos I discovered suggested vestiges of the past, lives lived and the architecture that remains.movies & cartoons

    ReplyDelete